We are a group of English teachers in Vinh Bao District, which is a rural area in the southwest of Hai Phong, Viet Nam. We graduated from different universities, but we share a common interest in English and teaching English for children. We all had several years working in some other fields, in big cities even abroad until we met each other and realized that we should make some differences in our community, where English has although been taught but rarely spoken and heard.
As teachers of English, we do dream of creating a speaking English environment for ourselves and for our students because, at the end of the day, the holistic principle of leaning a language is to communicate and connect people. And that is the reason why we are here at VOLUNTEERSBASE and making an appeal for your help.
We need your help mostly with our English Club organized on a weekly basis, from brainstorming for a theme to planning and executing the plan. It might be a talk show, a singing/ storytelling competition, some teamwork activities or simply a cozy gathering to share experiences in learning English. Our purpose is to encourage our students to step out of their shells of shyness, make mistakes and learn from the mistakes. We want to give them a chance to see how English used in real life compared to what they have learned from all the textbooks. For the time being, that is the big part of the support we need from you. You might help to contribute more ideas while you are here with us in order to assist the kids to build confidence and express themselves better.
For the future, we hope that we can inspire the children to take part in some environmental action as well to raise awareness within the local community in consuming plastic-related products, seeing that our countryside place has been polluted increasingly in recent years.
It is not a part of what we are requesting for but if you love children and like spending time with them, you can also help us with our teaching as well, as much as you feel comfortable with.
1. You will live with our families and experience how local life is
2. You will have meals with us and we will show you how to cook local food!
3. You have a good opportunity to learn more about some traditional craft villages such as wood sculpture, waterpipe tobacco, fabric weaving, sedge mats. Especially, you can in person enjoy water puppet shows.
4. Vinh Bao, where we live, is also well-known for a historic site where featuring Nguyen Binh Khiem, a famous sage dating back to the 1500s
5. It is convenient from our place to Hanoi, Halong Bay and Ninh Binh in the case those places are also in your plan.