Help needed in various projects in Githurai, Kiambu County
Location: Githurai, Kenya
Winners Self Help Group is a registered community based organization in Kenya, which operates in the informal settlements of Gatundu, Thika and rural areas of Kiambu County. We are skilled locals with a mission to support marginalized youths, women, children and people living with HIV/AIDS helping them to access and excel in education and business. We also assist young adults to acquire vocational & life skills, allowing them to start their own businesses and address social challenges in their community.
To achieve the group's goals and mission, we have implemented 5 ongoing programmes: Nurturing, Entrepreneurship, Motivation, environmental care and Talent recognition. We are grateful to our local leaders and community for supporting us in implementing the various projects that have positively impacted the lives of the local youths and community.
We are implementing five programs namely; Entrepreneurship, Nurturing, Motivation, talent recognition and environment care.
· Entrepreneurship focuses on women and youths. It is a program that ensures women and youth are in ability to start their own businesses. Winners achieve this by organizing trainings in different business opportunities and offering small loans to women and young people.
· Nurturing program benefits primary school children, it ensures they have clean water, sanitation and environment. Also, in this program, children are provided with learning materials like books, pencils and uniforms. Winners also educate girl children especially the ones in menstruation period, how to take care of their bodies and to accept the changes.
· Motivation program supports people living with HIV/AIDS through educating them on treatment and medication. Winners group organize forums with Thika health department and educate the infected on how to take care of themselves. In the program we train grandmothers about HIV/AIDS to help us reach young people in order to curb new infections. Also, we have education programs to help these people face their challenges and live positively.
· Talent recognition main objective is to reach out to the young people to make them independent and self-reliant. In Kenya, unemployment is a major issue affecting the youths thus winners wish to help them realize their abilities. By encouraging youths to use their abilities to earn a living decreases unemployment which results to decent living
· In environment care program, we plant trees and plants that benefit the environment and reduce pollution. We have various education programs with the Gatundu community teaching them on how to use water, dispose waste, demerits of chemicals in the garden and in water bodies etc. Our focus being to rescue the earth.
We require help in:
⦁ Environmental care
⦁ Hygiene education
⦁ Business training
⦁ Computer training
⦁ Health Services
⦁ Social work
Accommodation - Rom, bed and mosquito net will be provided, scoop shower and shared toilet.
Meals- 3 delicious African meals
Work - 2-4 hours from Monday to Friday
Volunteers Feedbacks 0 votes